Sunday, October 22, 2017

31 Amigurumi in October: Day 22


For today's 31 Amigurumi in October, I made a Hypno! I don't know if I've mentioned (I really do know I've mentioned it), but I really love any Pokemon inspired by Yokai.

If you're unfamiliar, the yokai which inspired Hypno is the Baku (pronounced bah-koo). It is a tapir-like creature and it will eat your bad dreams, so it's a good yokai to have around. Baku originated in China, but happily moved over to Japan. Little Baku statues are often put at the bedside of children to protect them from bad dreams. Even the word for tapir in Japanese is, Baku!



The prompt for today's October Create a Day was "childhood" and oh my gosh! I could not for the life of me think of a design. I knew I wanted to create a child-like costume for a Moon Bun, but what? When I began making the doll, my original thought was something like the Lock, Stock, and Barrel characters from The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Well, that same day, I'd finally finished up my children's costumes for Halloween. They both decided they wanted to be dragons. The boy is green and the girl wanted to be pink.

Anyway, I realized, why don't I make a Moon Bun wearing the same costume as my son, since I had leftover fabric scraps. And, tada! The Dragon Costume Moon Bun was born. haha!

Both dolls are currently available at Moon's Creations.

And if you ever need someone to nerd out with you about yokai, you know the lady to call, because I will be all over that conversation.

No comments: