Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Greening Your Amigurumi

When I first started knitting, I was a poor, poor woman. (Now I'm just a poor woman. lol) I was lucky enough to meet a talented artist who used recycled yarns. These were yarns she had reclaimed from sweaters purchased from thrift stores.

After reading Asley Martineau's wonderful tutorial, I was ready to try it. Through trial and error, I managed to get quite a bit of yarn at the fraction of the price and feed my knitting habit.

Although I still love knitting, I spend more of my time crocheting. With thoughts on greening my work at Moon's Creations, I've turned again to unraveling sweaters and reusing the yarn to make amigurumi. Not only is it recycling, but it also creates a unique and truly one of a kind look to your art.

If you're low on money for crafting or just want to be more environmental with your craft, I highly encourage you to start recycling sweaters.

Plus it's lots of fun unraveling knitted items!

2 comments:

TiL said...

Wow! wonderful idea! Thanks for the tip.A Kiss for you =D

stephen said...

Thanks so much for posting the link to that tutorial. I've been slowly collecting suitable wool sweaters from thrift stores, but have yet to get over the hump of actually doing anything with them. What I've found so far is so much cheaper than buying wool yarn from the store! =)