Thursday, August 27, 2009

Photoshoot

I've been asked many time how I take my photos. To be honest, I'm always suprised when people ask, because I don't think my photos are very good. They could always be better.

To take my photos I need 4 things: Camera, Light Box, Natural Light and Photo Editing Software

I have a Sony Cybershot. It's not high end at all. This is what I take my photos with. It just proves you don't need to spend a fortune to take a decent photo. I have mine set to no flash (very important), macro on and a slight increase on brightness.

The Macro setting will allow you to take nice, close-up photos of your item. The increase in brightness, just helps to lighten up what nature can't do on its own.


Natural Light is extremely important to your photos. It will bring out the absolute best colors. This is why you won't need flash. Flash washes out the richness of natural light. Even when taking photos of friends, I don' t use the flash.
Flash is no good.

You'll always need to change your photo time depending on the lighting that works best for you and the season. I like early morning sunlight. In late August I take photos around 8 am, but in Winter I take photos much later in the morning.

This clock is on a wall next to my light source (window). Not as bright as I'd like it, but I wanted to catch the time and I don't have a clock on any other walls.

For a light box, you don't need to spend a fortune. I made this based on Strobist's tutorial. It's a simple cardboard box with the top and sides cut out and replaced with tracing paper. My background white is just a piece of poster board.

This photo shows exactly where I take my photos, right next to the sliding glass doors. Luckily my doors are on the Eastern side of the house, so plenty of my favorite early morning light.

Here's a shot of a little Moon Bun in the light box.

Once I've taken my photos, I upload them into my computer. I use the free program Graphic Converter. I will usually sharpen the photo a little and brighten if the morning is a little more cloudy than I'd prefer.

That's it!
This is all I do to take my photos. Nothing too fancy.
If you're taking photos for products, remember to use that natural light and shun the flash.
Good luck!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for the link to the light box tutorial! I love do it yourself projects! Especially cheap ones! I too, love your photos. :)

Miranda said...

Hiya there~ I followed that tutorial and made my own light box but I didn't have a box on hand that was 12x12. Mine was a bit smaller. I didn't really work for me and I tossed it. I hope to try again with a 12x12 box. The only other problem with making on like that is it doesn't fold easily and I don't have anywhere to put it. Boo. I guess I may have to end up buying a fancy one that folds up. D: lol

Unknown said...

Mine is certainly not 12 x 12 either. I store mine on the top of a bookcase when not in use.

FireRaven said...

I'm wishing I'd read this before I left the other comment. XD

I'm going to try tracing paper on a new lightbox. My current box has solid white, and flash is evil!
Thanks for sharing your lightbox! ^_^