Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New Year = New Moon Buns

I've been wanting to make this Moon Bun set ever since I started Moon's Creations and finally here it is! This is a one-of-a-kind (OoAK) piece that depicts the Asian Legend of the Moon Rabbit.

The Moon Rabbit, is a rabbit that lives on the moon in East Asian folklore. The legends about the moon rabbit are based on the markings of the moon, which appear to be a rabbit pounding in a mortar. In Japanese folklore, the rabbit is pounding mochi. Mochi is a Japanese rice cake made of glutinous rice pounded into paste and molded into shape. While eaten year-round, mochi is a traditional food for the Japanese New Year.

I also made 7 additional Moon Buns for New Years. Each is wearing a vest made of vintage kimono fabrics and with a New Year's Mochi cake. Here are a few of my favorites!


I love this fabric!

2 comments:

out of the frame said...

so cute :) I love the way their cheeks are slightly pink! how do you do that?

wavecloud said...

So cute! I heart your shop!